Sunday, July 5, 2015

The Month of Dada

In honor of Father's Day this past month-my sweet son has decided to say nothing but "Dada". All day. Everyday. "Dada" when he first opens his eyes, "Dada" when we are in the pool, "Dada" while we are playing, "Dada" while we are eating, "Dada" while taking wagon rides, and I'm pretty sure I hear him say "Dada" in both his and my own sleep. My husband loves to throw this all in my face with little innocent jabs on how Nico loves him more. Doesn't bother me one little bit though. Nope not even a little. Really I'm not bitter at all. No way, José. 

I have researched (What? There must be some logical explanation for this right?!) classic linguistic theories stating that mama is actually easier (Wait! This can not be right?!) to say because babies tend to naturally make the "m" shape of the mouth while the baby is at the breast/bottle. If this was accurate- Nicoló should have been saying mama right out of the freaking womb because he's an expert at the breastfeeding stuff. In other words, this Russian Roman Jakobson "expert" is full of shit...all in my very humble opinion of course. Upon more research of my own-more recent theories have suggested the "M" sound is actually harder to make since air has to go through the nose to successfully make that specific sound. See NOW that makes so much more sense! Wouldn't you agree? Don't you think? Right?! Yep! Explains it all! 110% logic right there! No doubt. I of course explained this more current and accurate theory in depth to my husband and he simply said, "Keep telling yourself that." Tough crowd round these parts. We practice saying mama every.single.day. It goes something like this....

Mother-"Me-mama. You-Nico"
Nicoló-"Dada"

Good thing I'm not bitter huh? Because one could understand why every other mother might wonder how her first born-that she takes such very wonderful care of-would only say dada 635487329 times a day but will not even mutter even a mmmmhmmm for a solid 8 months-but nope not me. 

Did you happen to see this viral video yet of the dog saying mama before her baby? Probably going be happening in our house soon….see video below. 


Bellina, you better learn how to say mama real fast....someone in this house better start saying mama damnit! In fact, to anyone reading this-if you run into me out and about please call me "mama". 

So what has this last month brought us besides Nico obsessively saying Dada?! We were lucky enough to spend Father's Day weekend with our friends in Minneapolis. The Mommy's got the fun started with an evening out seeing a pretty sweet line up of country singers with a pretty sweet view (thanks Kari). Yes, Luke Bryan may have sweated on us and I may also have permanent hearing loss from standing directly in front of the speakers. While all of this was occurring-my husband and baby were having an extremely traumatic night. I mean I even heard the screams of my baby over the deafing speakers of Luke Bryan yelling "Shake It For Me" at 16.2 million decibels in my ear. All because obviously Nico was wanting his mama so he could go to sleep properly. I checked my phone so many times that I had to steal "juice" from a complete strangers portable battery pack certain that I'd be getting a SOS text from my husband telling me I had to leave immediately and tend to our baby. While I was obsessively checking my phone this is what really was happening...

Kid looks like he's having a horrible time and wondering why his mother abandoned him huh? I thought so too. I sadly missed my sons first pool experience but I'm glad that his dad got to have a "first" all to himself to be able to enjoy and treasure forever. Oh wait, what else is that in the water you ask? That's just Steve's phone also going for it's first swim-which explains why I never received that SOS text! Stefano said he wasn't even the least bit upset about the phone because Nico was having such a good time. Sweet huh? Anyway, us "mamas" got back to our hotel in the wee morning hours while my baby was sleeping like an angel without hardly any fuss at bedtime. Good for you dad. Glad you make it look sooooo easy. We already know by all the evidence above that Nico may favor his dada but go ahead rub it all in my face a little more. Punk. And when I say "Punk" I mean the both of you.

For Father's Day-Stefano was able to enjoy a round of golf and come back and relax with good company, a few cocktails and a nice big fat cigar. 
I Like It When They Call Me Big Papa...or Dada.

The evening continued with a fantastic meal (when your husband cooks-everyone loves you) and we were able to kick back enjoy our friends company and their very sweet children. It was awesome.

Picture Perfect
Thank you to my baby daddy for being such a wonderful "Dada" and our friends for making us part of their family (Special shout out to Mama and Papa Johnson for that as well) and making Father's Day for Nico's dad a very special and very memorable one.

Until next time family and friends-I'm going to go tape Nico's mouth close and see if he will start breathing more from his nose….you know, just to help him develop additional letter sounds. 
XO.
JLOVE AKA "Mommy" or "Mama" or I'll even settle for  "Mhmmm" 

OK Nico?!

No comments:

Post a Comment